Vertigo is usually described as a spinning sensation. Symptoms of Vertigo include double vision, change in alertness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, arm/leg weakness and inability to walk.
Vertigo is treatable with physical therapy. At IMC, our physical therapists use unique tests to confirm vertigo and prescribe special exercises and maneuvers to help treat it.
How Vertigo is diagnosed
A physical therapist will ask questions to help identify the cause of your vertigo and to determine the best course of treatment. A physical therapist will also perform tests to determine the causes of your vertigo and assess your risk of falling. Depending on the results of the tests, your therapist may recommend further testing or a consultation with your physician.
How a Physical Therapist helps
Customize a treatment plan: Your physical therapist will customize a treatment plan for you depending on his evaluation and your goals for recovery. Specific treatments depend on the cause of your vertigo. Treatments performed by physical therapists may include specialized head and neck movements to eliminate the symptoms of Vertigo.
Design exercises depending on your unique problems: A physical therapist designs exercise plans depending on unique problems which might include:
- Exercises to improve your balance
- Exercises to help the brain “correct” differences between your inner ears
- Exercises to improve your ability to focus your vision
- Exercises to improve your strength, flexibility, and heart health—with the goal of improving your overall physical health and well-being.
Teach you strategies to help you cope with your symptoms: A physical therapist can teach you strategies to help you cope with your symptoms:
- If certain activities or chores around the house cause you to become dizzy, your therapist will show you how to do activities in a different way to help reduce the dizziness.
- If simple activities become difficult, causing fatigue and dizziness, your therapist will help you work through symptoms right away, so you can get moving again and return to your roles more quickly.
Are you suffering from Vertigo? IMC physical therapists can help
We are a group of physical therapists who analyze and revise personalized programs in order to better assist our patients. We assess each patient’s physical and medical history and design treatment plans accordingly. Call us today for a free consultation at 845-535-9884 or email us at email@example.com. Our service areas in Rockland County include New City, Pomona, Spring Valley and Valley Cottage.