Do you have pain in your hands along with stiffness and swelling? Does this pain cause you difficulty in doing simple everyday tasks with your hands? Have you tried applying pain relief ointments, but have got only temporary relief? If the answer to these questions is “yes,” then physical therapy exercises may help you get your hands back in motion.
Your muscles and tendons move the joints when you move your hand, wrist or fingers. If your normal range of motion is impaired and you can’t bend your thumb without feeling pain, it might become difficult to complete simple tasks.
So, let us have a look at some exercises that can help you get rid of the pain and bring mobility back into your hands like before. These exercises are simple and can be done at home. Perform 10 repetitions of each exercise and repeat three times daily.
Wrist extension and flexion
- Place your forearm on a table on a rolled-up towel for padding with your hand hanging off the edge of the table, palm down.
- Move the hand upward until you feel a gentle stretch.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat the same motions with the elbow bent at your side, palm facing up.
- Stand or sit with your arm at your side with the elbow bent to 90 degrees, palm facing down.
- Rotate your forearm, so that your palm faces up and then down.
Wrist Ulnar/radial deviation
- Support your forearm on a table on a rolled-up towel for padding or on your knee, thumb upward.
- Move the wrist up and down through its full range of motion.
- Begin with your thumb positioned outward.
- Move the thumb across the palm and back to the starting position.
Hand/finger tendon glide
- Start with the fingers extended straight out.
- Make a hook fist; return to a straight hand.
- Make a full fist; return to a straight hand.
- Make a straight fist; return to a straight hand.
Contact us to get rid of your pain
Integrated Medical Care (IMC) is here to help you live a pain free life and take control of your health with the assistance of a therapist. At Integrated Medical Care (IMC), our chiropractors and physical therapists have years of experience in providing chiropractic treatment and physical therapy services. We can help you with all of your physiotherapy needs. Our expert therapists want you to become pain free and live a healthy life. We evaluate the condition of our patients before starting treatment. We’ve seen it all, and we look forward to relieving your pain. Call us at 845-535-9884 to schedule an appointment. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.