Neck pain is also referred to as cervical pain. It can be caused by disorders and diseases. It is a common medical condition. Some common conditions which can cause neck pain are degenerative disc disease, neck strain, neck injury such as in whiplash, a herniated disc, or a pinched nerve. Neck pain can also come from common infections, such as a virus infection of the throat, leading to lymph node (gland) swelling and neck pain.
Infections, such as tuberculosis of the neck, infection of the spine bones in the neck (osteomyelitis and septic discitis), and meningitis (often accompanied by neck stiffness) can also cause neck pain. And certain conditions directly affecting the muscles of the neck, such as fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica can also lead to neck pain.
Symptoms of Neck Pain
Neck pain can be identified by the following symptoms:
- Dull aching
- Discomfort with movement of the neck or turning the head
- Sharp shooting pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swishing sounds in the head
- Dizziness or light headedness
- Lymph node (gland) swelling
- Facial pain
- Shoulder pain
- Arm numbness or tingling (upper extremity paraesthesia)
Treatment for Neck Pain
Treatment options include:
- Rest, heat or cold applications
- Traction and/or soft-collar traction
- Physical therapy (ultrasound, massage, manipulation)
- Local injections of cortisone or anesthetics
- Topical anesthetic creams
- Topical pain-relief patches
- Muscle relaxants
- Surgical procedures
- Alternative treatments used for chronic neck pain include acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS).
Chiropractic Care for Neck Pain
Chiropractic is an approach that manipulates the spine and joints to relieve neck pain. It’s a therapy that does not involve medication. For neck pain in particular, chiropractic neck adjustments, called cervical manipulation can be performed. It loosens the joints of the cervical vertebrae in the neck. This can reduce pain caused by pinched nerves and muscle spasms. Chiropractors use their hands to twist the neck sharply and snap the vertebrae back into alignment.
Need Help For Your Neck Pain? Call IMC
Spring Valley, New City, and Nanuet in Rockland
At IMC, we have expert and experienced pain management teams. They are specialists in various advanced chiropractic and other therapies and techniques which can alleviate your neck pain and help you lead a pain free life. Your ailment will be treated by our highly qualified team of professionals. To better serve you, our treatments are based entirely on your specific needs. Call 845-535-9884 for a personalized treatment plan.